Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Preface To A Twenty Volume Suicide Note.

Preface To A Twenty Volume Suicide Note. Yeah, those words made me want to read this poem too. Not too long ago, I came across this incredible poem by Amiri Baraka, and it was an instant sensation. Images that fill my mind with sights, sounds, that helps me imagine what's going on. Connections to everyday activities and feelings like walking a dog or being in a depressed state. Meaning between the stanzas that rack my mind for a conclusion asking myself what does it mean?! until a conclusion comes to mind, Oh, I get it, or do I?

One reason why Preface To A Twenty Volume Suicide Note is so great is because of the images. While reading this poem, I have seen vivid pictures that are well expressed in Baraka’s piece. Amiri discusses the “broad edged silly music the wind 
Makes”; every word puts a depiction in my head. Baraka also paints a picture of these stars that the main character is always counting, but also converse the wholes they leave as well, all in which are very descriptive pieces of art.

The second reason why this poem is so addictive, is because of the connections I, the reader, can easily associate with the main character that is easily depressed and thinks a lot. He thinks about the ground enveloping him, or the stars leaving holes when they are not present which are deep thoughts. “And then last night I tiptoed up 
To my daughter's room” I obviously don’t have a child, but I linked that little girl with a younger being and understood what this guy means. Feelings churned while reading this that possessed sorrow, depression, but hope as well.

Of course the last reason, is the meanings within the poem. Some time during the poem, I have concluded maybe this guy is already dead and is a ghost, or maybe he’s just a depressed guy who finds hope in his daughter. All my conclusions are backed up with evidence. For the first result of the poem, I put together the running for a bus, indicating he’s invisible, and the daughter talking to an invisible person as the main character being a ghost. Giving away the title, I also guessed he’s just a depressed guy who finds hope in his daughter; an example of this is at the end when he states “ In her own clasped hands”.

Very carefully, sit down and think about this poem. While you sit there, think about, the powerful images and how they tell a story in a whole new way. Everyday junctions that describe everyday feelings and thoughts make a reader link to this person. Impacts this poem leaves on the readers mind with deep emotional filled meanings and confusion. So get off your ass and read it, I promise you will LOVE it.

2 comments:

Griffin said...

what is the message of this poem?

Griffin said...

what is the meaning of this poem?